How to write essays in concise English?
In essay writing, the term conciseness refers to speech or writing that is brief and to the point. Concise writing is generally free of repetition and unnecessary details. A writer's job is to create meaning for readers in short sentences even. A vocabulary of precise nouns and intense verbs helps to create strong rational pictures and avoid wordiness. Also using the fewest possible words without sacrificing meaning makes the essay writing more understandable. Following are some of the ways to make our writings clear, direct, precise and easy to understand.
1. Audience-oriented: This means that the writer should need to be aware of whom they are targeting because there are various words in English language that have the different meaning in another language. Therefore, it is necessary to know about the reader of that essay.
2. Writing short sentences: Using shorter sentences is a typical tip for making the writing clearer, something that makes sense if we start imagining. A mixture of longer and shorter sentences is perfect like, using words like ‘however’ and ‘therefore’ enables our reader to understand the relationship and connection between the points we’re making.
3. Avoid using clichés: These include phrases, idioms, clauses and similes. Because there are some situations where the reader is unable to relate it with the matter and the writing and they get confused with having these clichés.
4. Never use technical jargons: It is intensely irritating to use technical jargon for a non-technical audience. If we are writing to amuse our audience, it can sometimes be exciting to include a word or two that we think may be likely to send our reader immediately to the dictionary. But if we are looking for clarity, using inappropriate jargon only transfers effort from us to our reader.
5. Use of abbreviations: There are some words and title that have their abbreviations. So the use of abbreviations will make the writing concise. Too much wordiness also leads to the distraction of the reader. Their minds get diverted and this makes the loss of concentration.
6. Avoid repletion of ideas and words: Substitute an expressive phrase following a noun with a one-word adjective that leads the noun; for example “People who experienced at traveling know better than to label their luggage,” can be reviewed to “Experienced travellers know better than to label their luggage.
7. Nominalizations: Writer should try and avoid nominalizations. These are an abstract noun formed by a verb. For example, arrangement instead of arrange, discuss instead of discussion, complete instead of completion and fail instead of failure. Again, it keeps it short and more active.
Thus, the goal of concise writing is to use the most actual words. Concise essay writing does not always have the fewest words, but it always uses the strongest ones. Writers often fill sentences with weak or unnecessary words that can be removed or substituted. Vigorous essay writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words or sentences for the same reason. This requires not that the writers make all their sentences short and brief, or that they avoid all details not required and treats the subject in the form of outline.